So, you want to build a new home...
As we encounter the opportunity to plan and build a new home, it can be intimidating with all the necessary steps and decisions that must be made. The timing of these decisions and long range benefits come into focus when they are consolidated into 10 simple steps.
1. Land: Where will this home be located? City lot, acreage parcel? Do you have the location secured or are you looking? Are you searching on your own or do you have a realtor?
2. Style, the topography and location will dictate to a large extent the type of house that will work with the landscape. Slab on grade, walk out, split foyer? 2 or 3 story, full basement?
3. Placement of the house on the property. What is the situation of the garage, driveway length, shape and material.
4. Orientation: How do you capture the best view from the living spaces, bedrooms, kitchen? Will solar or other renewable energy be a consideration?
5. Interior Layout: The number of rooms, their uses and locations. What are your current and future expected needs? Growing family? Age in place?
6. Interior finishes, cabinets, tiling, colors, floor coverings, trim and millwork
7. Exterior finishes, roofing style and material. Wall covering color and texture, material selection
8. Timetable: Are there factors that influence the timing of your construction? Sale of an existing home, funding, relocation needs and wants?
9. Budget: What financial resources do you have available to build your dream home so that we may stay within your budget?
10. Team selection: How much or how little do you want to be involved in the day to day activities of orchestrating the construction.
“Delivering quality and comfort while ensuring value and security”